Saturday, November 28, 2009

Student Loan Hell

I'm currently in student loan hell. All of my loans were due for their first payments this June. The bills began to pour in. So many, in fact, that I began to let them collect in a box. Well...sad to say, I couldn't make the payments on time every month, thus ruining my credit. This makes me literally sick. I don't want to live in an apartment someday, I want to purchase the home my grandparents bought years ago, now in the trendiest part of Baltimore city. My parents still own the house, but either way..bad credit is BAD credit. After dodging calls from creditors, I had an I can't take this shit anymore moment on Monday. I collected all of the envelopes, added each loan to my bill book, and sent everybody $5 just so something was sent. Then, I got bold and talked to one of the creditors. After months of telling them that I couldn't afford to send them the $425 a month, she lowered my payment to $240 a month. Still a lot, but with some adjusting to my budget, I think I can handle it. The saga continues....

2 comments:

  1. Goodness...I know how it is. Are your loans through private lenders or the federal government. i know that the government WILL work with you if you call them and send them proof of your income. i was able to lower my payments from $500 a month to $180 a month (in total). It's such a blessing. I begin my payments again in December (I deferred but now that I lowered it, I am just going to pay)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you poor thing. You were really going through it huh?

    ReplyDelete

Speak on it...